Responsible Gambling Services

Provide Responsible Gambling Services 

Expand your skill set within a licenced venue and complete our responsible gambling services (RCG) course. 

This goes hand in hand with an RSA certificate and aims to promote safety (harm minimisation) in venues where there are gaming machines, including:

  • How to recognise gambling problems and addiction
  • Problem gambling
  • Harm minimisation
  • Gambling laws and much more

We train a variety of students at our Alstonville and Yamba Campus as well as partner venues within Ballina, Byron Bay, Lismore and Yamba.

It is strongly advised to also complete your RSA (SITHFAB021 – Provide responsible service of alcohol) to have both licences appear on the one photo competency card. You can complete both your RSA and RCG combined for $365 or FEE FREE if you are eligible.

Upon completion of your RCG course, Office of Liquor & Gaming NSW (L&GNSW) will send you the link with the details to complete the mandatory L&GNSW online assessment.

On passing the online assessment L&GNSW will email you an RCG interim certificate for the successful completion of your trainingThe interim certificate is valid for 90 days and allows you to work immediately.  


Check if you're eligible for FEE FREE Training

Eligibility criteria

To be eligible for funding under the ACE Program you must be:

  • an Australian Citizen, New Zealand Citizen, permanent resident or humanitarian visa holder, and
  • aged 15 years or older
  • not at school*, and
  • living or working in NSW
  • have a USI or be willing to obtain

* special conditions apply to ACE program for young people still at school. Please contact the College for further information.

ACE Program

The ACE Program is designed to target Disadvantaged Students across NSW, and students in Regional and Remote Communities in NSW that experience significant barriers to training and employment. Where there are barriers to accessing Smart and Skilled Entitlement training, ACE funding can be used to provide intensive support to assist eligible students to overcome these barriers. The ACE Program is a pathway program to help students access further training under Smart and Skilled, get a job or advance their careers.

* Subject to funding availability.


RCG course details

Duration: 1 day

Time: 9:00am – 3:30pm

Vairous locations: Alstonville Campus, Ballina, Byron Bay, Lismore & Yamba

Course cost: $170 or $0 (if eligible)

Price includes $41 fee paid to Liquor and Gaming NSW for ID Competency Card

Training mode: Face-to-face

ACE Program Fee: Subsidised training – find out if you are eligible for FEE FREE Training 

*This training is subsidised by the NSW Government


Interim Certificate

Interim certificates

Upon successful completion of an RSA course, you will receive an interim certificate. This certificate is valid for 90 days and allows you to work immediately.

competency cards

Competency cards

To obtain a NSW RCG competency card, present your interim certificate to a Service NSW Centre and complete a 100 point identification check. Service NSW will send your card to your nominated address via mail. Please allow up to one month for its delivery.

If you already have a NSW RSA competency card, on completion of your RCG course you will automatically be sent a new card with your updated competencies.

Note: in NSW all competencies must expire on the same date, calculated five years from the first competency gained e.g. if your RSA competency expires in June 2023, even if you gain your RCG competency in June 2020 both competencies will still have an expiration date of June 2023. This ensures all your competencies are current and expire on the same date.

Digital cards

Digital Competency Cards

You can obtain a digital competency card via the Service NSW app. The app is available via download from iTunes® or the Google Play™ store. Once you have the app, you’ll need your competency card holder number to add your competency.

Visit Service NSW to learn more about the NSW Digital Competency card. Photo Competency Card Renewal

Students will be sent a reminder notice by email/SMS before the competency card expires. You have up to 28 days after your card expires to visit the online portal to complete refresher training.

Cards cannot be renewed through a training provider during the 28 days. If you do not renew in this time you will need to complete a full RSA/RCG course at a registered training provider.


Who might need their RCG certificate?

Responsible gambling services must be provided wherever gambling activities are undertaken. In the hospitality industry, the gambling environment is usually referred to as the gaming area and is provided in a range of venues, such as hotels, motels, clubs, pubs and casinos.

This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Licensees
  • Staff with gaming machine duties
  • Staff who pay out winnings
  • Staff who patrol or serve in the gaming machine area

To find out if you need to complete this training visit the Liquor and Gaming Licensee Training Tool or visit the Liquor and Gaming website for more information.

Enrol 2024 Courses

Find a flexible 2024 course date below and when you’re ready, you can enrol online.

Upcoming Courses

Name Date Time Location Available Spaces Cost
Non Accredited RCG 27 March 2024 09:00 am - 03:30 pm YAMBA CAMPUS 18 $0.00
Non Accredited RCG 23 April 2024 09:00 am - 03:30 pm ALSTONVILLE CAMPUS 30 $170.00
Non Accredited RCG 15 May 2024 09:00 am - 03:30 pm YAMBA CAMPUS 30 $170.00

Do you have any questions?

Get in touch with us below to register your interest, join our waiting list or to find out more information.

Get in touch with us

Related Courses

Qualified female bartender with RSA making cocktails at a bar

Responsible Service of Alcohol

If you work or are looking to work behind a bar, at your local pub, club or restaruant, you need to complete your RSA to serve or sell alcohol. Read more.

Barista Training

Looking to work in a cafe? Learn essential barista skills in our SITHFAB005 Prepare and serve esspresso coffee course. Find out more.

Food Safety Supervisor

You require this training if you sell or handle food at a retail level. This includes, but is not limited to cafes, restaurants and even when volunteering at your local sports club or schoool canteen.

Subscribe to our Community Newsletter